Taking care of a lawn is a year round process. Many people are under the impression that a lawn care company only has services to offer in the warmer months. That could not be further from the truth. While your lawn may not have to be mowed every week during the winter, there are still some important lawn care services that need to be taken care of. The following is a list of services you should be doing yourself or hiring someone else to handle throughout the cold season.
- Fertilization: Different seasons will bring different needs to your yard. Each of these needs can be fulfilled with a different blend of fertilizer. If you are not sure what you need, then a good company can do a diagnostic test to let you know what you need. It is always a good idea to check as the needs of your soil and your grass can change over time.
- Weed Control: This is not as big of a problem in the winter, but it is a good idea to keep in mind. The more professional weed control that is done in the winter, the fewer weed issues you will have in the spring. This is especially important if you live in an area that stays fairly moderate in temperatures through the colder months.
- Disease and Insect Control: The winter is when diseases and bugs tend to settle in. They are not bothered by as much maintenance, and they need a permanent place to roost through the cold weather. Diagnosing issues and taking care of them during the winter is much less costly as the issues tend to be much less intrusive.
- Lawn Maintenance: Edging, light mowing, and pruning can all be done throughout the winter. If your lawn goes completely dormant, then this is not always needed. Most areas, however, don’t see temperatures low enough anymore to have extreme time periods of lawn dormancy.
- Landscape Lighting: As you are not going to be as busy with maintenance, this is a good time to get some landscape lighting in place. Highlighting areas of your landscaping like trees, arches in the architecture, and your door can be great ways to improve your curb appeal.
- Holiday Lighting: Many companies that offer landscaping services also offer holiday lighting services in their slow season. Paying professionals to do this for you will enable you to enjoy perfectly hung Christmas lights without risking your neck to handle it. These companies will come with all the right skills and equipment to get the job done right.