When it comes to your lawn, you want a resilient blade that can withstand the heat of the Georgia summer. Bermuda grass is a tough variant of grass that thrives on small quantities of water and hot climates. While it is a lower-maintenance grass, it does still need to be cared for properly. Whether you hire a lawn company in Flowery Branch to tend your grass or do it on your own, following these tips is the best way to keep your grass green throughout the season.
- Use the right mower. Bermuda grass often gets a bad reputation when it comes to mowing. When using the right mower though, cutting it shouldn’t be a problem. Because Bermuda grass needs to be cut to a length of one and a half inches, use a reel mower. This prevents you from scalping the grass.
- Change the length of the grass as the summer season ends. As fall begins to set in, you can let the grass grow a little bit more. Raise the height to about 2 inches for optimum growth.
- Don’t take off too much. If you’ve neglected to mow your grass down to the correct length for some time, don’t cut too much off once you get behind the mower. Cutting more than a third of the total height of your grass stresses out your lawn and causes issues. If you need to, slowly cut down more and more with each mowing session to ensure that it stays healthy.
- Once autumn hits, Bermuda grass goes dormant. When this happens, you only need to mow it on occasion.
- Leave the grass clippings. Instead of bagging your grass clippings after mowing, leaving them is a great way to eliminate the need for fertilization.
- Aerate your lawn once a year. This allows the nutrients to get down into the roots and help it to grow thicker throughout the year.
- Know how to water your lawn. When your Bermuda grass is thirsty, its blades will begin to bow down. While it can thrive on little water, it does best when watered once or twice a week. Ensure that each watering session is reaching 6 inches below the surface. This promotes deep root growth and protects against droughts and heat.
Bermuda grass has some of the most beautiful blades around. It’s green, lush, and easy to maintain. By following these simple tips and tricks, you ensure the beauty of your lawn all year-round. If you aren’t sure how to care for your Bermuda grass, consider hiring out your lawn care services. Professionals can easily establish a care regimen to keep your lawn healthy and happy.