Your lawn shouldn’t be the only thing going green this season. While many may opt for fertilizers and chemicals to get their grass growing, there are natural, green ways to achieve a lush lawn. Organic lawn care in Flowery Branch is a great way to cut down on the chemicals found in water and soil, allowing for a healthier environment and population. To get your grass healthy and thick without the use of chemicals, here are a few tips to try.
- Treat the soil, not the grass. Before you plant your grass, it’s a good idea to test the soil’s pH level. Your soil should have a pH level between 6.5 and 7. This is slightly acidic, which is perfect for growing flora. If needed, you can purchase sulfur, lime, compost, or other organic matter to create the perfect environment to grow your lawn.
- Water longer, not more frequently. One of the best ways to get your lawn growing is by establishing a watering schedule. Some make the mistake of watering more frequently for shorter amounts of time. As a rule of thumb, most watering areas should receive at least one inch of water per week. This can usually be done in one watering. Make sure to water in the early morning, before the sun rises. This allows the roots of the grass to absorb the moisture and protect itself from the heat throughout the day.
- Clear thatch. Thatch is made up of the above-soil runners, left behind by the grass. Over time, it builds up and prevents the roots of the soil from absorbing the water and light as they should. A healthy lawn should only have ½ inch of thatch. To control the buildup, aerate regularly. This increases the growth of your grass, which naturally kills weeds.
- Use natural lawn supplies. To keep your lawn environmentally healthy, consider using corn gluten to rid your grass of weeds. It should be applied in early spring and late fall to prevent weeds from sprouting. You can also use milky spore bacteria to get rid of Japanese beetles and grubs. Both are completely natural and safe to use.
- Leave your grass clippings. Instead of bagging the grass clippings after you mow, consider leaving them on your grass. Grass cycling provides just as much natural nitrogen, phosphorus, and water as one application of fertilizer does.
If you have questions regarding your lawn care, leave it to the experts. Hiring your lawn care services in Flowery Branch is a great way to ensure that your grass stays healthy and green, just as it should.